Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Football Season!

Clemson had their first football game a couple of weeks ago, and so we had our first Young Life tailgate. I was in charge of making some food, which if you know me you know that I am not an expert chef. I made some dip, purchased an assortment of fruit (including a watermelon), and made some cookies and brownies. After burning 3 batches of cookies, I was finally able to get the hang of the oven in my apartment. All the labels on the temperature knobs were rubbed off when we moved in, but my roommate, Emily, wrote them in with a sharpie. We are still having to guess what temperature to set it on, which is always an adventure. Let's be honest, I'd probably still burn the cookies even if I had a normal oven. No excuses for me, but I am getting better!
I made pretty much everything the night before the tailgate, but I saved the watermelon and the rest of the fruit for the morning of the game. I figured it would be easy to cut all of it up. Who knew that a watermelon is so difficult to pick out! A friend of mine told me to knock on the watermelon, and the best one would sound the most hollow. I probably knocked on every watermelon in the store and found the best one. I was completely confident in my decision. When I sliced open the watermelon the next morning before the game, the watermelon inside was almost completely white and it tasted terrible. Luckily, I had time to go back to the store and get another one. My strategy was completely different that time.. I just picked the best looking one, and it was delicious! Luckily, my friend Chelsea was staying with me that weekend and helped me with everything.
Despite my lack of cooking skills, the tailgate was a success. We also had plenty of food. A lot of our leaders and high school kids came by. We even had some old leaders stop by who graduated from Clemson, which is always a fun surprise. I'll do better about taking pictures, but here are a some others (old and new).
Anna and Anne

Young Life tailgate 2007








No comments:

Post a Comment